Best blocksize for large data loads?

From: Michael Fontana <mfontana_at_verio.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:17:01 -0500

I have a large direct sqlldr task, and am interested in experimenting with alternate (larger) blocksizes as available in Oracle9i release 2 to speed it up.

I assume the larger the blocksize, the faster the blockformatting and subsequent loading would result.

Does anyone have any experience which would confirm this?

Also - if you begin using the alternate buffer cache options, and have been running with 8k blocksizes, I wonder if all unspecified tablespaces would continue to use that default?

Michael Fontana
Sr. DBA
NTT/Verio