RE: Oracle9i AS vs. IBM Websphere

From: Justin Cave <justin_at_askddbc.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:52:07 -0600

If you are just starting out with Java/ J2EE, I would venture a guess that it really doesn't matter which application server you use. J2EE is designed to be a standard platform, and any application server will implement that standard. Most app servers will implement some app server-specific functionality on top of the J2EE standard, but it is relatively rare that the extensions are necessary and/or useful. If you were planning on doing things like using mod_plsql or deploying Forms applications to the middle tier, the iAS extensions would be quite useful. For deploying pure Java applications though, there aren't a lot of differences.

If price is a consideration, my bias would be to use Jboss, which is open source. There is also a pretty active Jboss community out there, so it is relatively easy to get assistance if you run into troubles. If you decide in 9 months that you want to use one of the big-name J2EE application servers out there, porting from Jboss is pretty trivial, since it sticks very closely to the standard.

Justin Cave
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC