Re: Raid 50

From: Thomas Day <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:34:05 -0400

<sarcasm>
My mind immediately leapt to the RAID-555 technology; but why stop ther= e?
The more you RAID-5 it the better the performance, right? </sarcasm>

Snipped for space -

=

                      Mogens N=F8rgaard                                =

                      <mln                     To:      oracle-l_at_freeli=
sts.org
                      @miracleas.dk>           cc:                     =

                      Sent by:                 Subject: Re: Raid 50    =

                      oracle-l-bounce                                  =

=

=
07/12/2004 01:34 = AM = Please respond = to oracle-l =
=

=

The BAARF membership template (ie an email to me :) ) is on baarf.com -=

we would like people to submit a statement regarding RAID-F also, but just the name will give them party membership. You, Paul, of course don't need to do this - I've given you membership number 62, which should be visible on the website at some point in the near future :).

What a fantastic concept of RAID-50. I've always loved the idea of selling customers RAID-5 solutions, and then mirror them. With the idea=

of striping across RAID-5 sets, whole new possibilities arise.

For instance, we could mirror this striped RAID-5 idea and get RAID-510= .
But why stop there? The striping in itself can give problems, so why no= t
use a more secure striping technlogy, namely RAID-5? So we could start out RAID-5'ing the RAID-5 sets, thus getting RAID-55. THEN we could mirror that solution, arriving at the incredible RAID-551 setup.

=