database change control and synching up 56 databases

From: <ryan.gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 17:16:30 +0000

I just started a new project. We have 56 databases. This is between dev,test, and prod. This is not a distributed system so its just one application. Apparently many of them are not in synch. We are doing 4 releases at the same time. Release 4 will include changes that release 1 has however, all of these releases are in development at the same time. There is no repository or ERD. We need to find the best way to synch up the databases. Here are some methods. What have you done?

1. OEM -- apparently this works, but it takes about 90 minutes to compare two databases
2. Toad -- fast, but inaccurate. It fails on some views and packages.
3. Code -- We are considering doing a data extract to the file system and then using a script to diff everything.
We have talked about using Designer, the problem is that this application is rather large and is already partially deployed. So to backward engineer it into designer would take a significant amount of time. Plus we are using hash partitioning which is not supported by designer, so we would need to do post-generation changes. Anyone have any experiences to share on how they managed this?