RE: VIRUS ALERT, do not open attached ZIP file from Oracle-Lmember

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 10:53:23 -0400

Dick,
 I fear that the reference to spam could end email as we know it is a reasonable truth.
 Our email allows us to block on the sender_at_URL or the whole URL. Each day I add 5 or more
URL's to the block list. The last time I check the ipswitch site there were over 14,000 known
email spammer addresses that I could download and install in our mail server. The admin is
looking into getting such a list or software and installing it.  The virus detection program catches many infected emails each day. Who would have
thought that you could make a career out of managing email at a company of 250 employees, go figure.

The snail mail spam is great for starting the fireplace in the winter and thats about it.
Ron

>>> DGoulet_at_vicr.com 07/09/2004 10:18:39 AM >>>
Ron,

        True, but the amount of trash mail I get at home via the snail is =
miniscule compared to the electronic variety and it never tries to = infect you with something or steal your passwords. And it never tries =
to spoof someone else's identity. I fear that if Spam and all other = forms of junk e-mail aren't curtailed somehow, that will be the end of =
e-mail. Heck, as of Monday my company is blocking individuals from = accessing their personal e-mail systems, like Yahoo Mail, because of all =
the virus traffic.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA