keyword-in-context style results

From: Bill Tantzen <tantz001_at_tc.umn.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:50:56 -0500

Hi All!

I have a set of xml documents which are indexed and searchable using interMedia text. I have about 1000 documents, and they range in size from about 4KB to 650KB. I would like to present the search results in a meaningful keyword-in-context (google-like) way, and I'm wondering if anybody has implemented this using interMedia? If so, if you could help me with a high level, general sketch of how you did it, I would be very appreciative!

One idea I have initially, is to prepare a couple of shadow tables using ctx_doc.filter, and ctx_doc.tokens (because the documents will be mostly static once they are created), and query against these tables for each hit in each set of results. Do you think this would be intolerably slow?

Or can anyone suggest a better approach (or a good print/web resource)?

Many thanks in advance,
Bill

Bill Tantzen
University of Minnesota Libraries
tantz001_at_tc.umn.edu
612-626-9949 (office) 612-250-6125 (cell)

I guess the man's a genius, but what
a dirty mind he has, hasn't he? -- Nora Joyce