RE: Log switches

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 15:52:31 -0400

What a cool idea. Basically keeping an open file descriptor so that information about the file is pinned in the kernel. Some antique systems might complain that someone already has the file open, but using input redirection should force a read open that doesn't really do anything except fetch up the needed info.

After Oracle sees this, I wonder how long before they add adaptive observation of switch times and execute an open a while before they need to switch so they won't have to wait for file info when they need it.

Holy cow. That is from April 2002 and this is the first time I've noticed it.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jared Still Sent: 08 July 2004 18:25
To: Oracle-L Freelists

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 02:48, Wolfson Larry - lwolfs wrote:
> Jared,
> I was wondering if you looked at Steve Adams suggestion of
keeping
> log files open to speed up switching?
> It is something we were mulling over.

>=20

> Larry Wolfson
>=20

I'm not familiar with that, or at least, I can't recall it.

And ixora.com.au seems to be down at the moment.

What is the premise?

Jared