high recursive cpu usage

From: Harvinder Singh <Harvinder.Singh_at_MetraTech.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:21:44 -0400

Hi,

We are testing the Insert performance on Oracle as our application do lot of batch inserts daily and simulating the application behavior. I am testing the insert performance into a table tab2 having 4 indexes from 2 sessions both reading from the same table tab1. I am inserting in a batch of 1000 rows at a time and in 1 session we are inserting 1000 batches so total 1M rows inserted. Also we are doing commit after every 1000 rows.
For reading we are using bulk collect with fetch 1000 and for insert we are using forall loop...This is 10g on Win2k with 2 cpu hyper-threading machine (looks 4 cpu)
Now to insert 1M records total cpu used is 80 sec and out of that 76 sec is used by service "recursive cpu usage" and "db file sequential read" wait is taking about 15 sec. Also from the event 10046, Fetch of 1M rows is taking CPU time 15.6 sec and Insert is taking cpu time 66 sec.

What can be the reason for high value of "recursive cpu usage"?

Thanks
--Harvinder