RE: shutdown abort to move data files

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:03:04 -0400

shutdown normal -- wait for all users to disconnect. Could be waiting a = LONG time.
shutdown transactional -- wait for all open transactions to commit or = rollback. Again, could wait a long time. shutdown immediate -- kill all sessions, rollback any aborted = transactions. Still could take a while, but generally faster than = either of the first two.
shutdown abort -- go down right now. Not much different than killing a = background process. Unlike last three, this will leave database in an = inconsistent state. Next startup will need to do instance recovery.

From: Satheesh Babu.S [mailto:satheesh.babu_at_iflexsolutions.com] Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 12:44 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Dick,
  beg to differ with you. Shutdown immediate will not wait for the =3D current
transaction to end, only shutdown normal will wait for the transaction =
=3D

end. The main reason shutdown immediate wait is , SMON will try to =3D cleanup
the temp space before shutdown. Incase if you issue shutdown abort and =
=3D

upon
next time you startup, during initial period your SMON will be working =
=3D

hard
to cleanup the temp space.

Thanks and Regards,
Satheesh Babu.S
Bangalore.

From: Nguyen, David M [mailto:david.m.nguyen_at_xo.com] Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 11:48 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: shutdown abort to move data files

I need to shutdown oracle8i database to move data file to another disk but it takes about 40 minutes to shutdown immediate. Can I go ahead to issue "shutdown abort" then move data file? Does it hurt anything?
=3D3D20

Thanks,

David