RE: shutdown abort to move data files

From: David Sharples <dsharples_at_cerebrussolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:52:51 +0100

Beg to differ with you, but shutdown transactional will wait for the transactions to end as well

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Goulet, Dick Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 10:06 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

David,

        I believe I'd start asking why does a "shutdown immediate" take so =3D
long? There are a number of answers, some of which you could fix, =3D others that need "indoctrination". First on the list is how big is the
=3D

SGA? If your DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS (since your on 8i) are REALLY huge then =
=3D

that could be one of the slowing factors. Consider reducing them. Next
=3D

is how many end user sessions are busy at the time. Remember an =3D immediate will wait till their current transaction is finished before =
=3D

shutting down. Can you get the owners of these sessions to agree to a =
=3D

date/time when you'll do maintenance. Third are the number of dead or =
=3D

sniped sessions in your database. This one really torques my jaws. End
=3D

users who start an application that uses the database & then walk away =
=3D

believing that it "will take care of itself". Consider setting =3D resource_limit=3D3Dtrue & setting up profiles with "reasonable" idle = time
=3D

periods. Most of my end users have a 30 minute idle timeout, but I did
=3D

have one that was set to 1 minute because he was a perpetual offender.
=3D

OH, then there's my personal favorite, the end user who starts his/her =
=3D

application and then powers their workstation down. Windoze is not =3D always graceful on this count. All of these will cause an immediate to
=3D

slow down. Fix the problem, not the symptom. Crashing the database may
=3D

well cause more harm, read that as recovery time, than good.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA