Re: Quick migration question

From: M Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:15:31 -0400

Diego,

If you have java objects installed then you may add atleast around 1 hour 30 minutes more than normal migration time. I have migrated 7/8 databases from 8.1.7.4 to 9.2.0.X in 1 to 3 hours including recompilation of objects.

If you are talking about Oracle Financials database, it depends on much modules you have installed. Just recompilation of invalids might take around 3 to 4 hours depending upon power of your server.

Regards
Rafiq

From: "Diego Cutrone" <diegocutrone_at_yahoo.com.ar> Reply-To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
To: <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
Subject: Re: Quick migration question
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 09:29:52 -0700

Tanel,

Thank you very much for the insight, it's been very useful for me.

Regards
Diego.

> The upgrade speed doesn't really depend on how much actual data you got
in
> your tables.
> The most time-consuming job in an upgrade like this, is the migration of
> data dictionary and recompilation of objects. Other changes, like
changing
> controlfiles, datafile headers, logfiles and rollback segments, will
usually
> take little time.
>
> Oracle will NOT go through any datafile to change or reformat any
datablocks
> during the upgrade (it didn't do so even when the data block format
changed
> fundamentally between version 7.3 and 8, it just reformatted required
blocks
> later on, "on the fly").
>
> So if you don't have much more objects and PL/SQL in your current system
> than the last one upgraded (and don't have tens of thousands of
datafiles),
> you should be able to complete your upgrade about in the same timeframe
than
> the last one.
> I'd say in less than couple of hours without any tweaks or tricks, given
> than you could recompile your PL/SQL & other objects in parallel.
>
> It's possible to get the upgrade process very fast - but this means
> unsupported parameters & techniques.
>
> Tanel.

migrate