RE: Scripting Client Upgrades

From: Branimir Petrovic <BranimirP_at_cpas.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 11:18:03 -0400

> We're making plans to upgrade the Oracle client on our user's PCs
> (running Win 2000). I spent several days trying to deinstall the
> current client (8.1.6) via a script with the Oracle Installer.
> After encountering several issues and bugs, I've decided to try
> writing a script that will remove the client "the hard way" (see
> note 124353.1).

So called "hard way" is unfortunately the only proper approach on Windohs, as using Oracle's Installer as well as using Add/Remove wizard in Control panel *will* leave tons of crap behind (like loose registry entries, mostly but-not-quite empty directories, etc.).

Scripted approach would be the best in my opinion if you can write the script to do it all for you and do so "cleanly" - without erring while messing with registry as per note 124353.1.

If your script is made/proven to be "bullet proof" you can run it against remote systems either via free utility psexec you can get here: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pstools.shtml or if enabled DCOM on remote PCs and coupled with enabled Windows Script Host's remote execution capabilities doesn't scare you, you may wrapp your script in VBS or JS and run it remotely against a list of systems to "clean up".

Branimir