Re: Datfiles/logfiles layout

From: <J.Velikanovs_at_alise.lv>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 18:53:07 +0300

Hi Harvinder,
There no correct answer to your question, I guess. I know nothing about your application.

I suppose Mark have given you good point to start. Dedicate your REDO from DATA and take a look there the most time have been spending.

Some examples from my experience:
1.
Recently I was involved in one iBank turning project. iBank application have to log any user activity by business requirement. There were huge counts of commits operation, because each single click must be logged. Mentioned application, have been made by third party and we were unable to change the way how it worked. There was 1 single RAID 5 volume for ALL database files.
Guess what was the problem of overall poor performance? After short investigation I have fount that most of time DB have spending on “log file sync” event. The solution was simple. Just add additional spins (IO devices) and relocate REDOLOGS on dedicated ones. After this response time for regular users improved by 80%.

2.
Once upon a time one customer have problems with read intensive application. Guess what? The better solution for this system were dedicate INDEXES from TABLES.

3. Lets imagine mixed system, and you have just 2 independent IO devices. What will bee your choose? I would say, it’s depends on business requirements. What is your business emphases?

I can be wrong,
Jurijs
9268222

http://otn.oracle.com/ocm/jvelikanovs.html

"Harvinder Singh" <Harvinder.Singh_at_MetraTech.com> Sent by: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
02.07.2004 17:23
Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        Datfiles/logfiles layout

Hi,

We are setting up the oracle database machine and layout the files as following.=20
Env 10g on Win2k
2 cpu xeon processor box
2 raid array (raid 0, since this is testing) of 14 36G each and controller for each
Current layout:
Oracle software, control file, Rollback tablespace, temp tablespace, index tablespace(100GB file with extent sixe of 512MB) on 1 raid array (H:)
Table tablespace (100GB file with extent size of 1GB), redo logs on another array (I:)

We are testing insert performance where we are selecting from IOT table (on H:) and inserting into another table (on (I:) and its indexes on (H:)

Is this configuration looks ok or what are the changes that we can try?

Thanks
--Harvinder