RE: RMAN and NFS

From: Ruth Gramolini <rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 09:38:47 -0400

Jfs2 is our file system on AIX. It is irrelevant to the current questions, sorry. We used to NFS mount our backup directory on box a to box b to clone a database from a to b. Then we stopped using NFS and just copied our backups from a to b using FTP and did the clone from box b. We put our disk backups on tape so we have even restored the tape to box b. Now, we have all drives in one SAN and backup everything on box a which can be seen from box b. In any configuration, the evolution of 'cloning' a database has been been dramatic. Once you have your backups in the right place, and your directories on the clone side defined, you just execute a 'duplicate' command and it's done.

Have a look at the demo script ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/demo/case4.rcv. This pretty much tells you what to do.

HTH,

Ruth Gramolini
Oracle DBA
Vermont Department of Taxes
Phone 802-828-5708
Email rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us <mailto:rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us>