RMAN and NFS

From: Michael Fontana <mfontana_at_verio.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 13:33:44 -0500

I am looking to move to RMAN as a backup tool and away from my shop's standard of BMC sqlbacktrack.

This is certainly a popular topic on this list, as I've seen many posts related to this specific situation.

One thing I notice is that we get several requests to duplicate or "clone" databases, and I understand and have used RMAN to easily accomplish this. However, the recommended method for doing so
(according to the manual I have read) is to use a NFS to accomplish this
(by storing the backups in a directory shared by source and target).

My network and OS support folks swear that this is extremely insecure, and refuse to support it.

I have read about some architectural models that suggest ALL databases be backed up to a central, networked server and disk (we much prefer to keep current backups on disk for reduced MTTR).

Can anyone on this list give me ammunition to appeal to my network and OS support people to reconsider their stance?

(BTW - when applications require NFS mounts - they often get their way -
ironic, isn't it???)

Michael Fontana
Sr. DBA
NTT/Verio