RE: Way to much log switching!!!

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:57:19 -0500

Barb

   It depends on your DW cycle of operations. We have a DW that operates on a weekly cycle. Sunday it is loaded, Monday a lot of reports are run. Noarchivelogmode. Sometime after the weekly load we perform a cold backup. Worst case, we recover the cold backup then re-run the weekly load. The input files are still available. This method might not work on a DW that is loaded more frequently or needs to be available 24x7. It does speed up the loads, which ensures we meet the Monday morning deadline. You are correct that running in noarchivelog mode reduces your hot backup alternatives like RMAN and also reduces your recovery alternatives.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com