RE: Issues with queries after upgrade,

From: Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:30:38 -0400

Did you update your statistics after the upgrade? Some of the code changes are bound to affect how the statistics are generated and used so I think this would be a first step.

There are at least a dozen underbar parameter changes between 8.1.7 and 9.2 that directly affect the optimizer. If you notice that the SQL statements having a problem have similar features: sub-queries, nested sub-queries, nested views, etc.... then you may need to reset one of these parameters back to the 8.1.7 value, usually false. I think Jonathan Lewis posted many of these just this week under the thread: db block size.

But I know Oracle support has had a couple of sites set one or two of these parameters back for specific SQL performance related problems.

I would not just set all of them back. I would think tuning for the current version of the CBO is the best choice going forward.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell --