RE: Question of degrees in Oracle DB recovery

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:20:32 -0400

Having had to do this a couple of times:

        First things first, during database creation, don't put database files = and the online redo logs (or control files for that matter) on the same = disk drive. The weakest hardware point in your system are the drives, = moving parts enough said? Next as several others have stated, make sure = your in archive log mode. Being in no archive log mode is the same as = saying I'm not planning on a disaster (deny the existence of Murphy & = your asking for it). Then place the archive log destination somewhere = else in the file system, yeah yeah another disk drive away from all of = the above. After you've got those setup then make a COLD backup as a = starting point, and hot backups thereafter. Make sure to keep archive = log files for slightly longer than backups. If you keep backups around = for 60 days keep the archive log files around for 70 days. It also = helps to mirror everything is possible & stay away from stripping. = Haven't had a good experience with that beast, yet.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA