Re: yet another round of Fabian Pascal, C.J. Date - relational model, NULLs, Xquery, etc.

From: mkb <mkb125_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:28:20 -0700 (PDT)

I've never read any of Fabian's articles so this is a first for me. I thought he made some good points and from what I THINK I understood from the article, I tend to agree:

  1. XML should not be used as a query language
  2. XML is good as an interchange language between systems
  3. SQL doesn't implement the relational model
  4. A better language is needed to implement the relational model

He does come across as being rather ascerbic towards his peers though.

On another note:

Incidentally, “inapplicable values” are a red herring.

They are an artifact of bad database design. There is only
one kind of missing value — unknown — and as I demonstrate
in the above-mentioned chapter, it can be handled relationally,
without the huge problems of SQL’s NULLs. <<<<

can anyone point to an example...

mohammed

Do you Yahoo!?
New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 100MB free storage! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail