Re: yet another round of Fabian Pascal, C.J. Date - relational model, NULLs, Xquery, etc.

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:26:35 -0700

> straight off of /. (http://slashdot.org)
> I have not yet RTFA for these yet, (I will) but I
> wanted to get the first post ;P
>
> ok, here comes the fodder.
> remember to keep your mouth closed while chewing.
>
> Pd
>

> Date defends relational model
> http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,
> sid41_gci962949,00.html
>
> "Among the barriers to the relational model, Date
> said, is the Structured Query Language (SQL)."
>
> ""The biggest problem with SQL is that it does not
> implement the relational model," Date said, and named
> NULLs as a particular pet peeve."
>

> If You Liked SQL,You'll Love XQUERY
> http://www.dbazine.com/pascal19.shtml

It was nice to see luminaries such as Date and Mullins refute the tired old analogy that OO DBMS proponents often use.

That is, that using a relational database is akin to disassembling your car every time you park it, and re-assembling it when you need to drive it.

It would be nice to hear what else they have to say about it however, as the article didn't go to any depth.

Jared