RE: Newbies welcome, or not?

From: David Lee <David_Lee_at_kaplan.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:22:14 -0400

Speaking as a newbie and with experiences with *NIX and VAX, this list = is extremely helpful for me. 80% of the items are way over my head in = depth and details. Those that I think will be helpful in the near = future, I file them away. Those that don't, get the "delete" button.

I think people get confused with the accessibiity of the Internet and = how reliable it is. Not everything that is posted is accurate and must = be taken with a grain of salt. If any of them are true, I would be = working at home and earning 100x (no make that a billion times) what any = of you make. The start of this thread was related to "SYMCJIT.dll". I = had researched the problem a few months ago and found the answer. I = didn't apply it until I get confirmation from intel.com. That is when I = apply it on my coworker's machine.

To those that says, the internet is a big giant bug-reporting-answer = database, I disagree. It can help you after you try the solution in a = test environment. Even if you have a boss breathing down your neck = asking for a solution every minutes, as I think all of us have, you = don't test it in production. That is asking for trouble. I made more = than my share of stupid mistakes and making it, IMHO, is a part of the = learning process.

And as for Mr. Mladen sharp wits, I find it refreshing. I don't = remembered the quote but someone had said "... make sure to put the = coffee down before reading his email". That is certainly true! Please = don't censure people.

my 2 cents,
- David lee