RE: Help - somehow got in the middle of this

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:53:53 +0200

Paula,
Several sites I've worked for got up to 75% discount for their Data Guard DR site, or even got it for free. Of course, it depends on how hungry the Oracle SalesRep is, or how near to his bonus. You're just a few weeks late, the last week of May is always a good moment for negotiation with Oracle.

A passive standby, with Oracle installed but not running, can be set up for free, as long as the software isn't running for more than 10 separate days a calendar year. (Source: Software Investment Guide, P2: http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/sig.pdf). I've seen this in a so-called PMR-environment. PMR is may acronym for Poor Man's RAC: Two servers have the same storage mounted, but only one is running the Oracle instance. When the running instance fails, another instance and listener is started at the other server immediately. With proper configuration of TAF in your tnsnames/Oracle Names/OID you don't have to bother about virtual IP-addresses etc: everything is up and running again in just the time needed to recover the database. No extra licencing, far less complex, just some redundant (cheap?) hardware.

Regards, Carel-Jan

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===