RE: Unix Question

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:39:15 -0400

As with iterative rm, that dd would have to exclude the mount stream running down to the dd command and save that for last if you really wanted to flat the system. So I think iterative rm with rm excluded is the superior system destroyer. The dd from null is probably faster though, so as a performance study a combination using dd for all but the mount streams including dd and then iterative rm restricted from deleting rm on the rm mount stream might be best.

Oh! -- maybe copy dd to /, then whack all but / until the end. Really getting rid of EVERYTHING is a bit trickier that it seems at first glance.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Jared Still Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 10:55 AM
To: Oracle-L Freelists

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 04:40, jtesta_at_dmc-it.com wrote:
> Jared, dont you think that someone who HAS root would know what that =
does?

>=20

> joe

>=20

No, I don't. A lot of people are using linux with Oracle,=20 and it is their first experience with a unix system.

If you just spent a couple days setting up linux and oracle for the first time, and you followed this advice, just how would you feel about it?

Jared