Re: KEEP pool and disk reads

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:28:25 -0400

Rajesh, P1,P2 and P3 arguments for the direct path write do not have the same meaning as for db {scatter|sequential} read. Here is what the manual says:

descriptor address 	This is a pointer to the I/O context of outstanding
                        direct I/Os on which the session is currently waiting
first dba 	        The dba of the oldest I/O in the context referenced by
the descriptor address
block cnt 	        Number of valid buffers in the context referenced by
the descriptor address

The descriptor address is an index into the array of structures that oracle calls "I/O descriptors" and is not generally useful unless you have Oracle source code. You can proceed further by using truss/strace/ltrace on the dbwr process and doing sar -d or filemon (Linux) to see which filesystems are particularly active. I must say that direct path write operation is usually associated with the sort operation. I personally have never used the event 10032 and 10033, but, in this case, they're likely to reveal the source of your problem.

--

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA