Re: KEEP pool and disk reads

From: <Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:56:58 -0400

Jonathan / Mladen,

I did perform a 10046 trace, and as expected saw no sequential or scattered read waits. Instead saw some direct path read and direct path write waits in the trace file, as under :

WAIT #3: nam='direct path write' ela= 13255 p1=201 p2=6793 p3=125
WAIT #3: nam='direct path write' ela= 12945 p1=201 p2=6665 p3=125
WAIT #3: nam='direct path write' ela= 14130 p1=201 p2=6537 p3=125
WAIT #3: nam='direct path write' ela= 15772 p1=201 p2=6409 p3=125
WAIT #3: nam='direct path write' ela= 12162 p1=201 p2=6281 p3=116

Given that db_files is set to 200, the p1 value of 201 points to the datafile belonging to my TEMP tablespace. I was not able to correlate the 628 disk reads shown in the autotrace, with the p3 values in the trace files.

What are these "direct path write" waits? For, autotrace shows me all sorts are happening in memory. Then, what are these writes on the TEMP tablespace?

As per Jonathan's suggestion, I performed a 10032 trace, which showed the number of blocks written with direct write was indeed 628. So says autotrace.

                    Mladen Gogala
                    <gogala_at_sbcglobal.n       To:     oracle-l_at_freelists.org
                    et>                       cc:
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     Re: KEEP pool and disk reads
                    oracle-l-bounce_at_fre
                    elists.org

                    06/26/2004 12:22 AM
                    Please respond to
                    oracle-l

On 06/26/2004 12:00:03 AM, Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com wrote:

> Now, how do I verify where the disk reads are coming from?

The event is 10046, level 10. Your physical reads are not caused by sort, because statistics says that it was in-memory sort, which means that it was quicksort in memory. You can turn 10046 on by using DBMS_SUPPORT or DBMS_MONITOR. The event 10046 will show you what are you waiting for. If you are waiting on event like db_block_sequential read, or db_block_scattered_read, it is possible that you are waiting on disk I/O. These wait events have arguments which will give you block which oracle is waiting for. That should tell you where the blocks are and what are you waiting for. My guess is, since you say that everything is in the SGA, that you are waiting for the UNDO block.