Re: An Oracle Utilities Pocket Reference?

From: Michael Thomas <mhthomas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:20:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

The 'Oracle in a nutshell' book is great for syntax ideas 'one-stop-shopping'. The advantage is it covers much material, its big enough to add notes on missing pieces, and it covers multiple versions of Oracle.

I'm on a pdf kick, so the Oracle documentation has quite extensive (although basic) coverage. The internet search and google are helpful in lieu of a small utilities pocket reference. And, if I've got the laptop, then I don't need a portable pocket reference with a searchable pdf doc set and *thicker* titles. :-)

If I didn't use the book myself, then its hard for me to recommend it to a beginner, or anyone else.

To end on a positive note, :-) For beginners, there is probably a good reason for a basic Utilities Pocket Reference that explains syntax for one new (10g?) or critical feature in detail.

'A beginner's guide' is one reason I like HJR's pdf/paper/book so much. Plus, his was written for Oracle 9iR2 with comments comparing to 10g which is totally unique.

Sometimes a simple guide gets people interested enough to actually read the documentation and/or try out one feature for themselves. Need examples?

  1. Data Guard
  2. 10g OEM features
  3. ASM (I think that's acronym I meant...storage)
  4. Export/Import and external files
  5. Backup and Recovery, and standby
  6. Performance stuff, trace files, sorting, etc

Maybe other ideas?

HTH Regards,

Mike Thomas

Do You Yahoo!?