RE: Server-managed vs storage-managed backup/recovery?

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:37:46 -0700

Tim,

We use the the 'split mirror' hot-backup for our large Apps database. The main reasons are (a) Keep backup I/O off the 'live' copy (b) Keep a copy of the Database 'on-disk' for immediate recovery should a disk disaster strike on the live copy. (c) We don't have to really bother about the backup window as long as one cycle doesn't step into the next. (d) Clones are simply a matter of FTP and archive log application. [Of course, storage $$ isn't an issue here, if you know what I mean!]

Hth,
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)