RE: Grid skepticism

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:06:01 -0500

Thanks for not flaming. Something wacko with our mail server. Your patience appreciated.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com
I said it "looked" clear - Riddick

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS [mailto:DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM] Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 3:27 PM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'

I think you receive those deep discounts based on your leverage with Oracle. If you are a large prospective customer that may buy a lot of licenses, they get much more interested in discounting.

   Does anybody remember time-sharing? If you sell to the U.S. government there is a law that you must give them the best deal you've ever given any customer. For services at least. There were several components to pricing time-sharing -- CPU cycles, disk storage, memory, etc. Some government auditors went through our books looking for the best deal we'd ever given any customer for any of the components. If some salesman had given a customer free disk storage to close a deal, the auditors insisted that was the price Uncle Sam would pay. Not pretty. These revelations may cost Oracle in unexpected ways.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com