RE: Database Link Timer

From: Peter Miller <Peter.Miller_at_cogent-dsn.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:45:16 +0100

Ignore the previous solution - I was talking rubbish

How about this?

register an interest in 2 alerts, say SUCCESS and TIMEOUT submit a job to ping the remote database, then raise the SUCCESS signal submit a job to raise the TIMEOUT signal in 10 seconds wait for either signal

If the database responded you get SUCCESS, If the network is down, you get TIMEOUT in 10 secs

From: Jared Still [mailto:jkstill_at_cybcon.com] Sent: 24 June 2004 15:28
To: Oracle-L Freelists

PL/SQL does not have signals.

If you wrote this in a language that was more suited to systems programming, such as oh, say, Perl, this would be easy.

And no, I am not being facetious.=3D20

PL/SQL is not an appropriate tool for this kind of work.

You may be able to do this in Java, but I don't know.

Jared