RE: Database Link Timer

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:47:11 -0400

Probably a little heavier weight than you'd like, but if you put a timer on an entire sqlplus startup connection to the remote database you just need a way to check whether the job has completed. (varying degree of difficulty depending on OS). If you don't do this TOO often, such that you generate unacceptable load, it is pretty cool to have a log of connection time plus light weight query plus logoff end to end time versus time of date for each system. Some folks even use this to get an early warning that someone is about to complain that the "whole system is slow" (in this case something is making logins slow).

mwf