Re: Grid skepticism

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 23:25:48 +1000

Mladen Gogala apparently said,on my timestamp of 24/06/2004 11:07 PM:

> merits, it can compete on the price. If you don't need RAC (I believe it was Cary
> who wrote an article with the title like "What is RAC and why you probably
> don't need it", but I haven't finished my 2nd cup of coffee yet), then MySQL is
> a formidable competitor.

Yup, quite right.

Quite frankly these things have phases, or fads, or whatever you might like to call them.

If I may offer an analogy: in the woodworking world, the 70s and 80s were decades of "give me the cheapest tools, I don't care how dysfunctional they are I can fix the problems". As a result, a lot of quality tool makers went out of business for sheer lack of interest in their products. And a lot of utter crap was produced.

I distinctly remember in 1983 having to pull apart a brand new full set of bedroom cabinets, re-match and re-glue them and put them back together. Only so that I could open the drawers and actually use them...

Nowadays, the maxim is: "buy the best and only cry once". As such, quality tool makers are making a definite comeback. And it is possible to find very well made and designed furniture and other wood articles.

I think IT is now going through a similar period of "economic rationalism". Ain't life wonderful? :)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto