RE: Combined SGA size and Total Memory

From: Thomas Biju <BThomas_at_br-inc.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:15:03 -0500

I apologize for the garbage email... One more try. Yes, I was the same person who sent this type of email couple of weeks back too... (Need to learn windows I guess)

From: Graeme Farmer [mailto:graeme.farmer_at_mincom.com] Sent: Wed 6/23/2004 6:52 PM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: RE: Combined SGA size and Total Memory

I would have thought that the SGA should be as big as it needs to be and no bigger!!

Needlessly allocating extra memory to the SGA just because you have can make Oracle work harder as it has more memory to manage. Buffer chain lengths will increase and scanning and cache chains latch contention has the potential to increase on active systems.

The size of the SGA should also depend on other processes on the system and their usage (including Oracle processes that perhaps require a large sort buffer).

Cheers,
Graeme.

This electronic transmission and any attached files are intended solely for the person or entity to which they are addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use, including taking any action concerning this information by anyone other than the named recipient, is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy this communication.