RE: Performance question

From: Raj Jamadagni <rjamya_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:04:20 -0700 (PDT)

Ryan,

That is textbook and that is how I learned too... in real life things are not so atomic (even the nuclear device has many many many atoms, you can't throw one atom at someone and call it explosion).

if I say 'Oh and yesterday we did "x" commits and "y" rollbacks per hour', the management won't give rats-where-sun-doesn't-shine. But if I can say 'Yesterday we averaged about 1500 orders per hour, management will stay awake for the reaining statements.

e.g. for me Booking an order may mean 5 inserts, 4 updates .. only when all these are successful I'll say, "I successfully booked an order" and this is what is in real life. Although I have never worked on Oracle applications, I don't think they count the commits there .. it is probably more complex than that.

HTHS
Raj
--- ryan.gaffuri_at_comcast.net wrote:
> never heard transactions defined that way. the textbook definition is 'atomic' activities which
> in oracle is a commit.

Best Regards
Raj

select mandatory_disclaimer from company_requirements;

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other providers! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail