RE: Performance question

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:54:11 -0400

If you move one of the unique indexes (the pk or the unique index) to a different tablespace,
does about half of the read wait move?

If so, and if you have a place to put the file that has an independent i/o chain from the file for the other tablespace, you might be able to get them to run in parallel (which assumes that batch is king and you don't have the multi-user conundrum; still even against many users you may thus separate a chronically busy i/o signature). Don't do any of this if your service times look like memory accesses. Reporting your service times would be useful, by the way.

Second, what can cause this? Well, a lotta stuff.

My hipshot guess from the available data is that you go from 30K tps to 18K tps when the indexes gain a layer. That's about the right ratio.

Third, what is your commit pattern? Your report that the read time is piling up on the file containing the indexes runs counter to this being a problem, unless you stashed undo in the same tablespace.

Do I correctly understand that the 1000 row table is static once it is created and you committed it?

good luck

mwf