RE: Job Scheduling Tool

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:48:51 -0400

rescheduling events scheduled during times when the system was not in operation?

daylight savings time?

job dependencies? (sure, you can code them up one off, but a job scheduling utility system gives you some consistency)

success/failures/transaction statistics/resource consumption statistics recording (sure, you can code them up one off, ....)

I'm not sure what ever happened to the job scheduler that Jeffrey Pugh wrote (and marketed), but I think it was purchased by Legent, who were then acquired, etc., etc.

It was nearly as simple to configure and use as cron, less cryptic, and you could tell it what to do about "missing time." It was also pretty light weight in its own resource consumption. I don't know whether Jeffrey reads this list -- maybe he'll chime in.

mwf