Generic Connectivity

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:56:02 +0100

Does anyone on the list use this feature of Oracle, if so are there any interesting 'features' that I would need to be aware of in the following scenario.

We have a 3rd party Helpdesk system that runs on Oracle We also maintain a Microsoft SMS inventory (MSSQL).

The supplier of the Helpdesk system originally asked for us to allow them to write code on the SMS database to push inventory details to the Oracle server. We said, why don't you just pull it into Oracle on a schedule from the Oracle side, that way we won't break it every time we change SMS, and we don't have to keep helpdesk code in 2 different places.

They have agreed and suggested Transparent Gateway which costs. I'd like to suggest generic connectivity, which doesn't, but if there are any startling reasons not to use generic connectivity I'd rather hear about them from others than experience them myself!

They should only need select on tables with standard sqlserver datatypes (integer and char ) so none of the LOB etc restrictions seem to apply.

--

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA