Re: ORACLE on mainframe compare to UNIX /linux server?

From: M.Godlewski <mcgodlewski_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:24:34 -0700 (PDT)

I've used Oracle on a MVS mainframe. Performance was horrible. There wasn't enough memory and the machine couldn't support more without a costly upgrade. It pages out your sga if you don't have it active enough. Therefore, you end up waiting for the SGA to get read back in from virtual memory (Disk) at disk seek speeds. We migrated our application off MVS OS/390 to a UNIX Sun sparc machine a few years back, and are still smiling about it. Other applications are still using the mainframe though and I hear some noise occasionally, It definitely is a different beast. Tim Johnston <tjohnston_at_quallaby.com> wrote: I never did Oracle on MVS (or OS/390) but I did support Oracle on VM (6.0.36-7.3.3)... I'll back up the cons that Allan mentions... In my case, there was ONE support analyst in the US who knew his stuff about VM... Whenever I called with an issue and he was out sick or on vacation, the other analysts were scared to death... They lumped MVS and VM support into the same group... But, Oracle on VM wasn't that hard to manage... A few quirks but nothing you couldn't figure out with some time and effort... MVS on the other hand is a whole other beast... It's a different mindset in the MVS world... JCL, JES, DASD etc... I started on that side of the world using IDMS databases... Seems like a lifetime ago... On the plus side, they have very mature tools... Mainframes have excellent job scheduling, CPU management and the security tools are pretty tight...

Some specific points...

It sounded like VM Oracle was going away the last time I worked with it (1999)
It sounded like MVS Oracle was going stay MVS usually lagged far behind in the release cycle VM usually lagged far behind MVS (I was a beta site for 7.3.3 on VM during 1998...)

Now, as I get to the bottom of this, I start to think... Are you talking MVS/VM or maybe you're talking about Linux on the mainframe? Not sure about Linux on the mainframe...

Tim