/*+ ULE*/ ???

From: Robert Eskridge <bryny_at_dfweahs.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:40:46 -0500

Oracle 8.1.7, Solaris 9.

A developer brought me a pl/sql procudure that had a select /*+RULE*/ hint in it. It was performing poorly (to the point of blowing out temp space with an ORA-01652 error. When we looked at sql running in v$sqltext, we saw that the hint had changed to /*+ ULE*/.

Cutting the select out and and running it in either TOAD or SQL*Plus and performed well. But in the procedure we messed around with it and kept getting the ULE (and the resulting full table scans) until we looked at the docs and put spaces everyhere ( /*+ RULE */ ). Is this well known behavior? I'm wondering if I should scan all our procedures for this syntax....

-rje