RE: Problem upgrading from Windows 2000 Oracle 8.0.6 to Oracle 9.2.0.1.0

From: Michael Boligan <michael.boligan.b_at_bayer.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:07:43 -0400

You don't say that you did it, so I am going to ask. Did you change the ORACLE_HOME in the listener.ora file? In the copy you sent it is still pointing to the version 8.0 ORACLE_HOME. HTTH,
Mike

"Paul Vincent" <Paul.Vincent_at_uce.ac.uk>
06/21/2004 03:29 AM
Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Problem upgrading from Windows 2000 Oracle
8.0.6 to Oracle 9.2.0.1.0

Thanks Jared (and to Thomas Day also) for the suggestion. I've copied over the tnsnames.ora file, (and also the listener.ora and sqlnet.ora files for good measure) to the 9.2 network\admin directory, bounced everything and tried again, but with exactly the same result. Obviously I'm missing something really obvious, but my brain's just seized up on this one. Any further ideas would be REALLY welcome!

In case it helps, here's the essential information:

Services running are the 8.0.6 listener, and the 8.0.6 database instance services.

The Global Name, db_name and db_domain of the database are DLIB.WORLD, dlib and WORLD respectively.

When I run the 9.2 database upgrade assistant it lists: "Oracle SID: DLIB, OracleHome: d:\oracle\ora80".

The message when I try to proceed is "ORA-12203: TNS: unable to connect to destination".

The tnsnames.ora file (which I've now copied to the 9.2 network\admin directory) contains:

# D:\ORACLE\ORA80\NET80\ADMIN\TNSNAMES.ORA Configuration File:d:\oracle\ora80\net80\admin\tnsnames.ora # Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant

DLIB.WORLD =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = diglib3)(PORT = 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = dlib))

  )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA.WORLD =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(Key = EXTPROC0))
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = extproc))

  )

The listener.ora file (also copied over to 9.2 directory) contains:

# D:\ORACLE\ORA80\NET80\ADMIN\LISTENER.ORA Configuration File:d:\oracle\ora80\net80\admin\listener.ora # Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant

PASSWORDS_LISTENER= (oracle)

LISTENER =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = oracle.world))
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = NMP)(SERVER = DIGLIB3)(PIPE = ORAPIPE))
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = DIGLIB3)(PORT = 1521))
  )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =

      (SID_NAME = extproc)
      (PROGRAM = extproc)

    )
(SID_DESC =
      (GLOBAL_DBNAME = DIGLIB3)
      (ORACLE_HOME = d:\oracle\ora80)
      (SID_NAME = dlib)

    )
  )

The sqlnet.ora file (also copied over) contains:

# D:\ORACLE\ORA80\NET80\ADMIN\SQLNET.ORA Configuration File:d:\oracle\ora80\net80\admin\sqlnet.ora # Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant

NAME.DEFAULT_ZONE = world

NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = world

#sqlnet.authentication_services = (NONE)

SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME = 0   SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_SERVER = requested

SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_CLIENT = requested

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, HOSTNAME)     I hope someone can see the obvious mistakes here - they're not obvious to me (he says, feeling very, very dim!)

Best regards,

Paul

Paul Vincent
Database Administrator