Re: db block size

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:13:51 +0100

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:15:16 +1000, Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote:

> You just don't. Different block size tablespaces are there for transportab=
> le tablespaces only. Absolutely zero benefit outside of that.
>
> One day soon I hope this message spreads a bit more broadly. Maybe we shou=
> ld put it in a FAQ somewhere. :(

<Red Rag to Bull>
Absolutely zero? As in *never* useful outside of that?

Possibilities that spring to mind.

LOBS/Long/varchar2(4000) cols *might* benefit from larger block sizes, especially if the 'large' objects are actually quite small (say 8k in size). I would *guess* that small and very frequently updated LOBS would be good candidates - especially if PCTVERSION is set insanely.

seperating these sorts of objects usage of the buffer cache out from that of 'ordinary' usage might be beneficial/more efficient (though I guess the recycle pool might be a good alternative).

I don't like *never*.
</Red Rag>
<completely lost it>
then of course we could put index and data segments in different block sized tablespaces to reap huge performance benefits (say 500%) in the same way as seperating them physically is good, seperating them in memory would be good too
</completely lost it>

Cheers

--
Niall Litchfield