RE: DBA Hacks Book

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:38:37 +0200 (CEST)

Rob
At 09:01 PM 6/18/2004, you wrote:
Now, what I'm trying to say (and it's more difficult to express this in English than I thought) is that as a developer you mostly look at the db as a black box. Certainly when you start with pl/sql you haven't the faintest idea what happens when you issue a command like 'commit'. I think you agree with me if I say that as a developer you need to have a lot of knowledge of the system you're working with, i.e. the Oracle db / network traffic and that means access to the information about it. And the easiest way is to talk to a DBA -if he has time and is in the right mood etc etc-.

HOW TRUE! My previous post reflected, a.o., a project I was on as a contractor. There were 40 developers, and a so-called Software Architect (with years of experience on AS/400) in between the developers and the DBA's. They were not supposed to communicate to each other. Developers shouldn't know anything about Oracle, that would cause a vendor lock-in. The previous project of this company got cancelled at the moment th cost raised up to 80 million USD. Making errors is expensive, not taking the lesson of them is stupid. It's hard to maintain the right mood then. I quit.

Regards, Carel-Jan

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===