Re: Database Design questions

From: Peter Robson <pgro_at_bgs.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:12:56 +0100

Hi Pallav,

You describe a problem area.

As a general rule, if any single relation (eg 'table') has as many as 130 attributes, I am suspicious that the relation is not in Third Normal Form (TNF). This is not to suggest any weakness on the part of Oracle in dealing with wide tables, of course.

My suspicious were further confirmed when you suggested that all the columns 'are mostly dependent or related to the primary key'. This does suggest your table is not in TNF.

May I encourage you to revisit your total list of attributes (irrespective of the relations / tables they are currently assigned to), and apply some formal normalisation to them? Not to do so will unquestionably store up problems for you in the future.

Of course, once you have normalised to TNF, you may make a judgement in terms of selective de-normalisation, but that should only come after normalisation has been achieved.

hope that helps...

peter
edinburgh

Friday, June 18, 2004, 2:49:23 PM, you wrote:

PK> Hi Design Experts,

PK>     I am in the process of designing a  datamodel for
PK> a new application and I need some advice regarding
PK> that. I have a table with almost 130 columns in it.

<snip>

--

    mailto:pgro_at_bgs.ac.uk

This e-mail message, and any files transmitted with it, are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. If this message was not addressed to you, you have received it in error and any copying, distribution or other use of any part of it is strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of the British Geological Survey. The security of e-mail communication cannot be guaranteed and the BGS accepts no liability for claims arising as a result of the use of this medium to transmit messages from or to the
BGS. .                            http://www.bgs.ac.uk