Database Design questions

From: Pallav Kalva <pallav_oracle_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 06:49:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Design Experts,

    I am in the process of designing a datamodel for a new application and I need some advice regarding that. I have a table with almost 130 columns in it. This table gets updated with new information regularly and all the columns are mostly dependent or related to the primary key. I think there will be a poor performance with the table of this size. My question is it better of breaking this table into several different tables like

property_details ( prop_id (pk), prop address, bed rooms,bath rooms ,total sqft ...)
property_auctions ( prop_id (fk), auction date, auction location..)
property_loans, (prop_id (fk), loan date, loan amount, loan recording date...)
property_defendents (prop_id (fk), defendent owner firstname, lastname, company name ...)
.
.
.

Each of these tables will have prop_id as a Foreign Key (which is also a primary key for that table ) referencing the prop_id Primary Key in this case parent table property_details.

  1. Is this a good design for such a big table size ?
  2. If I choose this approach and when i need to get all the information for a property I will end up querying all the tables and will involve joining all the tables, which would also affect the performance of the query.

Can anyone help please help me with the problem ? Below you will see the huge table which I am talking about.

Thanks!
Pallav.

Table PropTaxroll

Prop_ID
State
County
Batch Date & Seq Number
Deed Category
Document Type
Recording Date
Document Year
Document Number
Document Book
Document Page
Title Company Code
Title Company Name
Attorney Name
Attorney Phone Number
1st Defendant/Borrower/Owner First Name
1st Defendant/Borrower/Owner Last Name
1st Defendant/Borrower/Owner Company Name
2nd Defendant/Borrower/Owner First Name
2nd Defendant/Borrower/Owner Last Name
2nd Defendant/Borrower/Owner Company Name
3rd Defendant/Borrower/Owner First Name
3rd Defendant/Borrower/Owner Last Name
3rd Defendant/Borrower/Owner Company Name
4th Defendant/Borrower/Owner First Name
4th Defendant/Borrower/Owner Last Name
4th Defendant/Borrower/Owner Company Name
Defendant/Borrower/Owner Et Al Indicator Filler1
Date of Default
Amount of Default
Filler2
Filing Date