RE: DBA Hacks Book

From: rob zijlstra <rmsah_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:40:13 +0200

>> I work with developers who use our databases all the time in ways that
aren't anticipated but I can't discuss it without a lot of unfriendly language.

Here we go again.

In prehistoric times (about 1980) when I started to learn to program, one of the first things I learned that if a user does something that you hadn't anticipate, it was not the fault of the user. Of course it only meant that the programmer didn't use his brains enough to foresee these things. He should make a better program, and certainly NOT try to explain to the user that 'he shouldn't do that and that'; no, if he was a real programmer, the user could NEVER even do 'that and that'.

The sentence above only means to me, that the person who developed the db in question should try to work smarter instead of complaining!

Greetings,

Rob Zijlstra.