RE: on tablespace and extent size for RBS

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:33:26 -0400

on tablespace and extent size for RBSOkay, last time I really measured this stuff is a long time ago. The experimental method was times from concurrent manager jobs over business cycles that may have differred somewhat, so the results may have been a little fuzzy, but I think they were good enough to use (and basically free to collect). This all assumes that you've got a reason not to use automatic UNDO (such as being on 8i, in your case. There may well be other reasons not to use automatic UNDO, but I think that would be a different thread.)

If you've got the space, make all the rollback segments the same size, and big enough such that your biggest job (if you could run it in isolation) easily fits without extention. Then back figure the extent size by dividing the total by a number in the range of 20 to 40. That will almost certainly place you in the plateau where various collisions are minimized to about the same degree. Then slap them out there with the number you choose as the initial number of extents. Dynamic growth and shrink are cool, but I use them more as a tool to observe something unusual happened than to conserve space.

Now, remember that SET TRANS... does not reserve the segment, so all manner of transactions may mix in there with your designated big transaction. One way you can attempt reservation is to bring one of the configured segments on line, and immediately place a number of very tiny updates on it using SET TRANS.... where the number is higher than the number of transactions you normally see divided by the number of online rollback segments. This is not bullet proof, but short of setting up an entire instance to run the single job, I'm not aware of a way to do it better (my eyes and ears are open). Of course you have to count the space you lost for the little guys in the original size, and this methodology does not handle running two or more big jobs to the same "large" (remember, I believe you should translate "large" into all the same size, but you're trying to reserve this one) segment. When the transaction completes, you whack the little guys and take the specially named segment off line the way that waits (in case something snuck in there.) Then you check whether your segment grew, etc.,etc., to see if you need to make new plans.

Okay, recapping the short answer -- biggest you need divided by a number in the range 20 to 40 probably will put you in a sweet spot. (And this is totally separate from figuring out how many segments you need.)

mwf