Re: Has the Lists 'Mission Statement' Changed???

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 04:36:23 -0700

Well said Joe.

Denham, as an experiment, just try asking a simpler question. :)

Seriously, the questions that I have seen go without answer are out of the mainstream (for a DBA, which this list seems to consist of) and go unanswered simply because no one here has the answer.

I see that you asked about directly repairing a data block marked corrupt. There were 2 replies, which may or may not have been helpful. This is really a support question anyway.

Keep in mind that there are people on this list that doubtless know how to do this particular task, but are likely bound either by employment contracts(Oracle) or NDA's (with Oracle) that prevent them from telling you how to do it. This is a rather low level task you were asking about.

Others may simply ignore it as it is safer for them to do so than hand out advice for using a sector editor, figuring that you really should call support.

Your question on auditing has gone unanswered, but to be fair, it hasn't even been 24 hours yet. It is a rather unusual question, so it seems likely that if it remains unanswered, that no one here has experienced that issue.

I'm sure there are enough ego's here such that any question will be answered provided the reader has any idea what you're talking about.

Jared