Re: Pre-Approved database changes

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:47:52 -0700

oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org wrote on 06/17/2004 04:05:18 PM:

> - deleting empty partitions/tablespaces
>
> - gathering statistics. This list has made it pretty clear that
> analyzing can cause "profoundly negative results". We have currently
> escaped tracking this since all of our analyze jobs are automated, but
> that will probably change the first time a major system has a slowdown
> and the only thing that has changed is a recent analyze and that was not
> tracked.

True, but I have no desire to try and document when it should and shouldn't
be done. This is one if the areas that will still require some DBA discretion.

I don't want to go to CC to get approval to generate stats for a single table
that has had a lot of DML activity and now gets a useless plan. Not too often
but it does happen occasionally.

Thanks,

Jared