Re: new paper on direct access in C to the SGA

From: Mogens Nørgaard <mln_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:57:20 +0200

It's actually very surprising for a database fan to see how much work can be done on a compute with very little resource usage if you don't go through the database engine :-). Two reasons for DMA techniques: To sample fast enough, to reduce overhead of the sampling, and to access information not available (externalized) yet from the vendor.

Those are the reasons Precise/Veritas (and others I don't know about) do DMA. It's in some ways back to the roots :). Dangerous? I agree with Mladens points on this - the answer is basically no.

Mogens