Re: Machine time change and login/startup problem

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:10:51 +0800

In a database application, you wouldn't be changing your system clock frequently.
Most applications make use of sysdate from the DB server to log transactions / timestamps etc.

However, Oracle [till at least 9i], doesn't behave in the manner you describe. During D.R. and Y2K Testing, people have reset system clocks without impacting the database [of course, transactions that use sysdate get screwed up]. Time-stamp
based recovery, however, cannot be performed across the actual time when the system clock was reset backwards.
Are you sure that the errors you encounter in 10g are related to re-setting the system clock ? What happens if you shutdown Oracle [Database AND Listener] before you reset the system clock and restart Oracle after having changed the system time ?

Hemant

At 12:10 AM Tuesday, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We are using 10g on windows and whenever I changes system clock to past,
>oracle doesn't startup. And I get errors:

Hemant K Chitale
Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital

All the suffering in the world arises out of wanting happiness for self. All happiness in the world arises out of wanting happiness for others. - Shantideva