Re: SAP Reorgs

From: <J.Polet_at_Robeco.nl>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:12:38 +0200

I try to understand all these warnings about reorganizing All the comments seem to say:
Reorganizing is a bad practice unless.... Instead of
Reorganizing is OK but be aware off......

To my opinion reorganizing is OK when , as a result of it, a table or index occupies less data blocks.
This will, in general, not only cause less LIO for this segment. but it will also cause less disk I/O, leaves more block buffers available for other segments and will decrease the amount of disk space used by the database.
You should however always use your common sense (the "be aware of" part). The effects of running the reorganization on resource usages or response times should be in balance with the results after the reorganization (better response times, less LIO, less memory usage). It could be that more experienced people on this list already know that this is almost always the case
However the arguments I see on the list together with my own experience haven't' convinced me yet.

Jaco Polet